Any extreme is bad. How can you tell if you’re creating a healthy or unhealthy habit? Here are a few questions to honestly ask yourself.
- Genuinely ask why. Why am I doing this?
- Are the intentions setting me up for success or failure?
- Are the means to obtaining my goal in service to me or not?
- Is the time, monetary and energy investment worth the cost?
- Do I beat myself up when I do not follow the regimen needed to attain my goals?
- Do i deprive myself of things that make me happy? (i.e. seeing friends, getting enough sleep, “me” time)
- Is this something that I genuinely enjoy, or is it something that I feel obliged to do?
- Am I being true to who I am?
- Is my mind completely consumed with this?
- Am I happy?
When writing this list I had a few contexts in mind. Sex every night versus celibacy, overeating versus under-eating, excessive exercise versus no exercise, giving too much versus never giving anything.
I cannot stress the honesty enough. It’s one thing to censor your speech in conversations with others, but its another to avoid the truth in your own consciousness. Sit in the mirror and answer these questions candidly if necessary.